Photo Gallery 3 Images
GRANTS PASS, Ore. — A 33-year-old man was sentenced Thursday to a life sentence with possibility of parole for the stabbing death of another man in March 2016.
Jerald Wesley Eigenbrod, 78, was stabbed to death on March 11, 2016. Duane Eugene Bond Jr. was arrested and charged with murder in connection with Eigenbrod’s death.
During the trial, attorneys claimed that Bond and his then-girlfriend had accused the victim of touching their daughter inappropriately. The attorneys argued that the couple went to confront Eigenbrod, and ended up in a fight.
"First I want to say that Jerry was not innocent," Bond said at his sentencing. "He molested a 3-year-old little girl and he got what he had coming. 'Cattle die, kinsmen die—I too shall die myself, the same way. One thing that will never die are the valorous deeds of a dead man.'"
Some sources attribute a form of the quote "Cattle die, kinsmen die..." to an old Norse proverb called the Hávámal, but Bond did not give any indication of his motivations for the reference.
Bond will now have to serve at least 28 years in prison. He received a 25-year minimum for the murder of Eigenbrod, plus an additional three years for weapons charges that he received while in jail. After 28 years, Bond will become eligible for parole, but he would still face probation for life.
LINK: Read The Affidavit
"Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For the wounded man shall say to his assailant 'if I live, I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven,' such is the rule of honor," said Bond, apparently quoting lyrics from the song "Omerta," by the metal band Lamb of God.
Bond was found guilty on Feb. 23, 2018 and was sentenced in Josephine County on Thursday morning.
According to the affidavit, Eigenbrod was found with multiple stab wounds at his home on South Side Road in Grants Pass.
Police said Bond was seen leaving the victim’s house, and returning several minutes later with a bloody knife in his hand.
"Keep your head up and boots down," Bond said to his family as he was led from the courtroom.
- RAW VIDEO: Man Gets 28 Years to Life In Prison For Stabbing Death Of 78-Year-Old Man
- RAW VIDEO: Footage of Missing Brookings Man's Last Appearance Released
- RAW VIDEO: Judge Denies Restraining Order to Man Suing Dick's Sporting Goods
- RAW VIDEO: Security Cameras Capture Vandalism at Medford Schools
- RAW VIDEO: Suspect in Morning Standoff Accused of Sex Trafficking
- RAW VIDEO: Structure Fire in Medford Engulfs Home
- Man Gets Nearly Six Years in Prison for Sex Trafficking
- Man Facing 7 Years in Prison for Assault, Strangulation
- Medford Man Accused of Stabbing, Strangling Dog
- Yreka Man Arrested after Stabbing Man Multiple Times