CHICO, CA -- Since her whole world went up in flames. Cara Gray's one source of solace has been the Red Cross Shelter in Chico.
Cara Gray an Evacuee of the Camp Fire says, "These people had lives. We all had lives. We've lost jobs. We've lost homes, land livestock. Everything."
Giving her a safe place to park her RV with free electric, power and sewage, but now that's in jeopardy.
Gray says, "Where are we going to go? I couldn't tell ... I really don't know."
The last Red Cross Shelter from the Camp Fire is set to close at the end of the month. When their temporary contract with the Silver Dollar Fairgrounds expires January 31st. Roughly 600 people still staying here, now searching for a place to go.
Marcia Stowers an American Red Cross Caseworker says, "They are afraid. They are nervous. they don't know what's next.
It's why Red Cross caseworker Marcia Stowers is working with families on a case-by-case basis, trying to find them more permanent housing moving forward.
Stowers says, "the challenge is housing right now, especially locally, because with all the people out of housing they are filling up quickly. Not just apartments and that but even just somewhere to put their RV or mobile home or something that they get."
Many just don't have the financial resources, especially after their jobs were destroyed in the fire.
Dianna Van Horn an American Red Cross Spokesperson says, "we hope every day to have more answers. and everyday we get more answers. It's just a matter of time and trying to find the resources we need and match up to people with their needs."
Local homeless shelters are offering up beds for fire evacuees as well, but there aren't enough available to take in everyone from the Red Cross Shelter.
Gray is now hoping to find answers in all this uncertainty before she's out of the fairgrounds for good.
Gray says, "I know I'm going to persevere because that's just me, but I don't know. There's a lot of weak people out there."
- American Red Cross Will Close Last Shelter at Camp Fire
- Red Cross To Close Grants Pass Shelter
- UPDATE: Red Cross Shelter in Ashland to Close, Staff on 'Stand-By'
- Camp Fire Hits Close To Home
- Camp Fire Evacuees Seek Temporary Shelter in Southern Oregon
- Local Red Cross Volunteers Head for California Fires
- Red Cross helping out the community during fire season
- Local Red Cross Volunteer Helps Volcano Victims
- Red Cross Seeks Nominations for 'Hero Awards'
- Three Camp Fire Employees Fired