OJAI, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say a Southern California woman is in custody after deputies discovered her 96-year-old father living in a home stinking of feces and filled with up to 700 rats.
The Ventura County Sheriff's Office says Tuesday that Catherine Ann Vandermaesen was arrested on suspicion of elder abuse and animal neglect. It wasn't known if she has an attorney.
Officials say Vandermaesen didn't want to allow deputies inside the Ojai home during a welfare check last Wednesday. A sheriff's task force returned the next day and encountered multiple pets and an overwhelming stench.
Eight dogs, two rabbits, a cat, a parrot and 55 rats were removed. Animal Control estimated the house was infested with another 200 to 700 rats.
Authorities took custody of Vandermaesen's elderly father. The city declared the home unlivable.
- California man, 96, found in home with 700 rats
- Congress Votes $700 Billion Defense Bill
- Klamathon Fire Update: Containment Reaches 96%, Local Assistance Available
- Remains Of California Man Found In Tennessee
- Man who slipped into California river found dead
- Last Missing California Family Member Found Dead
- Abducted California Girl Found Safe in Oregon
- 3 Dead as Helicopter Hits California Home
- Northern California Wildfires Prompt Evacuations, Burn Homes
- Body of California Man Found at Toketee Falls One Month After Disappearance