MEDFORD, Ore. -- Monday, the nation honors the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. but Medford commemorated his legacy Sunday. Medford has been putting on a Dr. Martin Luther king, Jr. Celebration for more than 25 years to remember who he was and what he and many others, fought for.
“We're trying to make sure that people remember that Dr. King had a vision and that vision was to make sure that we continue stepping up and being there for those people who don't have a voice for themselves and continue to make positive changes in this county," said one of the event’s organizers D.L. Richardson.
This year's theme was ‘Stand Up, Step Up, Speak Up’ to remind others to uplift and keep Dr. King's dream alive.
“We're united in making sure that the social justice and that people feel safe and welcome to be here," said another organizer Debra Lee.
Guests saw performances and heard snippets from a few of Dr. King’s speeches. Richardson believes it’s important for the Rogue Valley to celebrate Martin Luther King Day and to remember there's still work left to be done in this county.
"I think it's important for us to realize that Dr. King had a dream, a straight dream, for all of us to share in. Not just a particular group, not just a particular people, but all of us. The more we come together and realize that dream of peace and harmony and togetherness, the better we're going to be as a community, especially the community here in the Rogue Valley,” Richardson added.
Ashland will hold its 31st Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration January 21st at the Ashland Armory.
- Medford Honors Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Legacy
- Ashland Honors Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Legacy
- Ashland honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
- Civil Rights Leader Remembers Dr. King at King Day Celebration
- Dr. Shumate, Medford Superintendent, Chosen to Lead Georgia School District
- Memorial Run To Honor Medford Father
- Premier Care Dental: Dr. Lloyd
- Premier Care Dental: Dr. Peterson
- Premier Care Dental: Dr. Bradshaw
- Premier Care Dental: Dr. Uffens