STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Medford couple stuck on cruise ship docked in California

Bud and Carla LeFever of Medford were supposed to be enjoying a 15-day cruise but less than half way through the trip their ship returned to port.

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 5:44 PM
Updated: Oct 1, 2020 10:46 AM

MEDFORD, Ore. – A Medford couple are ending their vacation in quarantine. Bud and Carla LeFever of Medford were supposed to be enjoying a 15-day cruise but less than half way through the trip their ship returned to port.

“We go into a holding patter about 50 miles out from the Golden Gate and they helicopter out CDC people with test kits and they put them on the ship and started testing people,” said Bud as he explained how the situation escalated off the coast of California.

19 crew members and two passengers tested positive for COVID-19 coronavirus. Not everyone on the ship was tested.

“We found out one of the waiters had it so he would have infected a lot of people,” said Carla.

Now, Bud and Carla are playing a waiting game, not knowing when they will get off the ship of where they will be taken for another two weeks of quarantine.

“The days of confinement are not counting towards the quarantine so we still have two full weeks that we’re not going to get to go home,” said Carla.

Carla and Bud say they’ve been told Oregonians on the ship will be taken to either Georgia or Texas for quarantine.

“We’re just waiting to get our luggage tags, which may come today and we might be off the ship later this afternoon and take our charter to either a base outside San Antonio or a base outside of Atlanta, we just don’t know yet,” said Bud.

“We’re going to be mingling with other people that may be infected but don’t know it yet because they’re not going to test us until we actually get to where we’re going,” said Carla.

Both Carla and Bud say Princess Cruise Line has been very accommodating during their time in containment, saying that one of the first things crew members did was send around a form to passengers asking what medications were needed during their extended stay.

“I have high blood pressure and other situations, I only pack enough for the 14-day cruise and one of the first things they did was send out a questionnaire of what prescriptions we need and within two days I had prescription that would last 14 days,” said Carla.

They say that while it’s not ideal their situation is much better than some of the other passengers on board.

“We’re very fortunate that we have a balcony and we can go outside and get fresh air. For the people that are in these inside rooms, they don’t have anything, they don’t even have a window and some of these are families; they have four people in one small inside cabin,” said Carla.

The LeFever’s are staying positive through it all.

“Since were 71 and 72 we have a 20% chance of getting it but we have an 80% chance of not getting it. I am focusing on the 80%, the positive. Life is good and I’m not going to expect the bad, if it comes then we deal with it,” said Carla.

She survived breast cancer and is still kickin’ and has a positive attitude that she tries to rub off on me so I don’t stay grumpy,” said Bud, “It’s trying our patience a little bit but we’re staying positive. It’s probably going to ruin my golf game,” said Bud who was quick to tell jokes, “who knows it might help it.”

Originally the LeFever’s had another cruise planned in another month but at the urges of their children they decided they better cancel.

“We got a letter while we’ve been contained saying that we have a period of time that we can cancel and not lose our money," said Carla, "we receive a credit for a future cruise."

“The cruise industry is going to take a big hit on this,” said Bud, “and the people that enjoy doing that, like we do, will be looking for other things. Hopefully this gets past the critical stage and things get better and we get a handle on it.”

Oregon Coronavirus Cases

Data is updated nightly.

Cases: 549942

Reported Deaths: 5908
CountyCasesDeaths
Multnomah91246935
Washington66239461
Marion53184568
Clackamas48202458
Lane42140396
Deschutes36193225
Jackson33315409
Linn19533221
Umatilla18893190
Douglas15964322
Yamhill13371168
Josephine12835290
Polk11462112
Klamath10887178
Benton1076146
Coos8224128
Malheur672895
Columbia569066
Jefferson554070
Lincoln502762
Crook451662
Union402765
Wasco378250
Clatsop353937
Tillamook284354
Hood River277138
Baker267940
Curry253640
Morrow247526
Grant130917
Harney130034
Lake115323
Wallowa95913
Sherman2303
Gilliam2244
Wheeler1652
Unassigned00

California Coronavirus Cases

Data is updated nightly.

Cases: 7326549

Reported Deaths: 78101
CountyCasesDeaths
Los Angeles234382128181
San Diego6411724547
Riverside5167235599
San Bernardino4991406258
Orange4871995941
Santa Clara2456731986
Sacramento2350502598
Alameda2030591566
Fresno1932342425
Kern1917411974
Contra Costa1547751085
Ventura1494071245
San Joaquin1413831957
Stanislaus1122251512
San Francisco103373694
Tulare1025111196
San Mateo94920644
Santa Barbara69671581
Monterey65883650
Sonoma64933429
Solano64606391
Placer55976510
Merced54745718
Imperial50370819
San Luis Obispo43050381
Kings41890392
Santa Cruz33640237
Madera31559336
Butte31274347
Yolo30735270
Shasta29382508
Marin28360251
El Dorado23973175
Napa20209109
Sutter17892198
Humboldt14600128
Yuba13555101
Nevada13121111
Tehama11815142
Mendocino11152109
San Benito1082990
Tuolumne970091
Lassen899459
Lake8245117
Amador682073
Unassigned61533
Calaveras581494
Siskiyou549762
Glenn524439
Del Norte431443
Colusa373021
Inyo372749
Mono27294
Plumas231512
Mariposa227218
Trinity113019
Modoc8526
Sierra2690
Alpine1180
Out of CA00
Medford
Partly Cloudy
46° wxIcon
Hi: 56° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 43°
Brookings
Partly Cloudy
56° wxIcon
Hi: 59° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 56°
Crater Lake
Cloudy
46° wxIcon
Hi: 38° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 43°
Grants Pass
Cloudy
46° wxIcon
Hi: 57° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 43°
Klamath Falls
Partly Cloudy
40° wxIcon
Hi: 47° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 40°
Few showers on the westside today, stagnant weather begins tonight
KDRV Radar
KDRV Fire Danger
KDRV Weather Cam

Community Events