Photo Gallery 6 Images
CAVE JUNCTION, Ore. —
UPDATE: Investigators are treating the house fire in Cave Junction on Wednesday as an arson and are looking for a suspect, according to the Oregon State Police (OSP).
A man was seen igniting and throwing a flare at the house prior to the fire, OSP said. 65-year-old Donald Thomas died in the home as it burned.
OSP Major Crimes and Arson Detectives are investigating the case. Anyone with information related to this fatal fire is requested to contact the Oregon State Police Dispatch at 1-800-442-2068 or *OSP and reference case #SP19-017772
(Updated 1/18/19 at 12:35 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: One person is dead following a house fire that flared up near Cave Junction around midnight on Wednesday, according to the Illinois Valley Fire District (IVFD).
Firefighters from IVFD and emergency personnel from AMR responded to reports of a fire in the 100-block of East River Street just after midnight — arriving to find "a single-story wood frame house" with flames pouring from oth the front and sides.
After knocking down the flames, firefighters entered the house to find a single occupant who had died inside.
Crews from Pacific Power also responded to the fire and disconnected power to the house to keep the firefighters safe. IVFD was assisted by firefighters from Rural-Metro Fire.
IVFD said that the cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Illinois Valley Fire Marshal, a fire investigator from Oregon State Police, and an investigation team from the Oregon State Fire Marshal's office.
- Police Seek Arsonist in Connection With Fatal Cave Junction Fire
- Police Investigate Serial Arsonist Near Cave Junction
- Death Investigation in Cave Junction
- OSP Confirms Shots Fired In Cave Junction
- Grass Fire in Cave Junction Under Investigation
- 15-acre Fire Burns Near Cave Junction
- Woman Arrested in Connection With String of Cave Junction Arsons
- Missing Cave Junction Woman Found Safe
- Officer-Involved Shooting in Cave Junction
- Cave Junction Bingo Fanatic Celebrates 100th Birthday