GRANTS PASS, Ore. — Memorial Day weekend will see Grants Pass bustling with patrons for Boatnik 2018—featuring a carnival, parade, boat races, food and plenty of other activities. However, if you're planning to attend (or just find yourself trying to get through the area), there are a few things to know.
The Grants Pass Department of Public Safety and Josephine County Sheriff's Office have released some information about what to expect in the area and how to stay safe—whether you're heading in to check out the festivities, or just driving, walking or boating along the Rogue.
- 6th Street will be closed to all vehicle traffic (except for parade entrants) from “A” Street to the River. The road closure will be from 8:00 am until after the parade, approximately 1:00 pm. During the parade, traffic will be diverted from 6th Street at “A” Street to Beacon, then onto the Grants Pass Parkway. Traffic can then divert to I-5 or onto the Parkway.
- The 6th Street (Caveman) Bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic during the parade. The closure will be on Saturday, May 276h from approximately 8:00 am until 1:00 pm. Those persons wishing to travel south of the Rogue River need to leave earlier or plan to use the Grants Pass Parkway Bridge. ACCESS ACROSS THE RIVER WILL ONLY BE ON THE PARKWAY BRIDGE OR THE 7TH STREET BRIDGE (northbound only).
- No parking will be allowed at the following locations from Friday, May 25th at midnight until after the Boatnik parade on Saturday, May 276h: -6th Street from just north of “A” Street to the Caveman Bridge -Voorhies between 6th and 7th Streets.
- Dogs are discouraged along the parade route.
- East Park Street will be closed to vehicular traffic from 6:00 am Friday, May 25th through Monday, May 28th at 9:00 pm. Vehicles with a Boatnik parking permit or Handicap parking permit will be allowed to enter East Park Street via the Parkway entrance only.
- Baker Park will be closed to vehicle traffic and boat launching on Friday, May 25th through Monday, May 28th.
- Starting Friday May 25th, 2018 at 6:00pm the Rogue River from Baker Park to Riverside Park will be CLOSED until Monday, May 28th at 3:00pm due to race events.
- Friday May 25th, 2018 the Rogue River from Baker Park to Park Riffle will be CLOSED during race events scheduled from 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Saturday May 26th, 2018 the Rogue River from Baker Park to Park Riffle will be CLOSED during race events scheduled from 10:30am to 6:00pm.
- Sunday May 27th, 2018 the Rogue River from Baker Park to Park Riffle will be CLOSED during race events scheduled from 11:30am to 6:00pm.
- Monday May 28th, 2018 the Rogue River from Baker Park to Robertson Bridge will be CLOSED during race events scheduled from 12:00pm to 3:00pm.
River & Bridge Safety
- Stopping or standing on the 6th and 7th Street bridges and the Grants Pass Parkway Bridge is highly discouraged. It is advisable to find a safer location to watch the events. The bridges will be patrolled and enforcement action will be taken as necessary.
- Restrictions for public use will be placed on the Rogue River during the Memorial Day weekend. Citizens are required to stay back a minimum of 50’ off the shoreline during boat races and exhibitions.
- Movement on the water is RESTRICTED to Race, Law Enforcement, Rescue and Authorized Race Officials during the closures. Private boats are not allowed to assist with crash/rescue operations and will actually pose a greater risk to themselves and the race participants if they enter the closed area during the race event.
- Boats may be anchored on the shoreline as long as it is deemed safe by Race Officials and Law Enforcement. All users shall be OFF the water in an approved area 1 hour prior to the start of the race. Any unauthorized boat on the water during the closure may be cited for Reckless or Unsafe Operation (ORS 830.315 & 305 / $421.00). Law Enforcement will be patrolling the waterways during the race events
- NO DOGS ARE ALLOWED IN RIVERSIDE PARK from Thursday, May 25th at 12:00 pm through Monday, May 29th at 9:00 pm. Violators will be cited and asked to leave the park. The only exceptions are designated guide/service dogs.
- As a safety issue, riding of skateboards, roller blades, and bicycles will not be permitted in Riverside Park during Boatnik weekend.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed in Riverside Park, except in the fenced Boatnik refreshments garden and during the Wine and Brew Fest.
- Persons with handicap placards may have access to the East Park Street corridor and park along the street, as parking allows.
- No smoking in Riverside Park at any time. Violators will be cited and asked to leave the park.
- Road Closures & Traffic Expected for Boatnik Celebration
- 60th Annual Boatnik Brings River Closures
- Upcoming Road Closures
- Boatnik Festivities Kick Off In Grants Pass
- Sheriff: Expect Traffic Holdup After Fourth of July Celebration
- Road Closure in East Medford
- Knute Buehler Drives into Boatnik on a John Deere Tractor
- Boatnik Honors Fallen Soldiers with Memorial Day Observance
- Pear Blossom Parade Times and Road Closures
- Icy Roads Expected In The Rogue Valley